ETSIT-EN  ¦ International Office  ¦ Studying abroad  ¦  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

You will surely have many questions about what constitutes international mobility. From what does it mean ECTS to how it is reflected in my academic record of the UPM ETSIT the fact of having completed a series of courses at a foreign university.

In this section we answer the most common questions that students often do.

For your convenience, we have grouped the answers several sections. We hope you find the answer you are looking for at this page. If not, you can always inform the international office ETSIT-UPM or sign up to one of the mailing lists, where you receive timely information regarding international mobility.

Erasmus +

Mostrar todo
Ocultar todo
  • What is Erasmus?

    Erasmus +, is the new EU program for education, training, youth and sport, approved on November 19, 2013 by the European Parliament, began in January 2014. The program, seven years duration, aims to increase skills and employability, as well as supporting the modernization of systems of education, training and youth, and will have a budget of 14,700 million Euros.

    Recently it has been awarded the UPM with the Erasmus University Charter of Higher Education (ECHE) which is valid for the duration of the future Erasmus + Program (2014-2020) 

    The new Erasmus + program is part of the Europe 2020 strategy, its components in Education and Training 2020 and Rethinking Education and encompasses all initiatives in education, training, youth and sport. 

    The general information on the objectives, conditions and requirements of the program are published on the website of the Organization of Autonomous European Educational Programs OAPEE: 


    The most widespread aspect of Erasmus is the promotion of student mobility.

  • What is the Grant Agreement?

    The Grant Agreement is the document received by the institution / organization receiving the grant for the project development of the corresponding Key Action , under the Erasmus + program. Establishes the terms and conditions by individuals, general clauses and annexes are an integral part of the grant agreement. 

    It must be signed by the legal representative of the institution / organization beneficiary and the legal representative of SEPIE. The signing of the grant agreement implies that the beneficiary accepts the grant and undertakes to carry out the project under its own responsibility.

  • What are the Erasmus scholarships?

    The European Union is funding the mobility of students, giving a total amount for the exchanges expected by each university. Moreover, the Autonomous Communities and the Universities also complement this funding. 

    Around the month of January / February, the School makes a selection of the candidates for the seats available for the next course and sends a print request to the Rectorate indicating the number of months allowed for the stay of each student (always within durations maximum under bilateral agreements), student bank details, etc. For the selected students, the Office of Student Mobility Rectorate (in building B, c / Juan XXIII, first floor) is responsible directly to request, manage and distribute aid from the European Union in proportion to the number of months each student remains displaced. No need to deal with any additional paperwork, except requests for possible supplementary grants. The amounts are paid directly into the accounts of students, the school has no news of when grants are paid, or how much.

  • Should I deliver a document to the University to justify the period of my stay?

    Indeed, in your return you will have to take to the Student Mobility Office Rectorate a Stay certificate signed by the Erasmus coordinator of your host institution where the period of your stay is indicated. If this has been less than initially anticipated, they would make you refund the difference. They can also claim you a copy of the certificate stating your academic activity.

  • How do I prove my Erasmus scholarship

    The Student Mobility Office of the Rectorate makes formal credentials of scholarship (Institutional Contract) serving the student to prove their status as fellow abroad. They are also required to apply for the Health Insurance Card (which is required to take the reception center) for health care abroad in the case of members of Social Security. This form is requested in the Delegations of INSALUD.

  • Is compatible the ERASMUS scholarship with other income?

    Officially the scholarship is incompatible with an employment contract and requires full-time dedication of the student, being compatible with any other grant or assistance. No problem to accept a grant for an activity that is academic in nature (for example the scholarship that is given by a company for the student to perform a stay in practices that will be recognized as his final project). It is also perfectly compatible with aid that students normally receive if they continue their studies in Spain (for example grants MEC).


Mostrar todo
Ocultar todo
  • What is ECTS?

    R. ECTS stands for "European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System" (European System of Credit Transfer and Accumulation). It is the only credit system which has been successfully tested and used across Europe. It was initially established for credit transfer: The system facilitated the recognition of periods of study abroad, thus increasing the quality and volume of student mobility in Europe. ECTS is developing into an accumulation system to be implemented at institutional, regional, national and European level. This is one of the key objectives of the Bologna Declaration of June 1999.

    ECTS is a student-centered system based on the student workload required to achieve the objectives of a program. These objectives are preferably specified in terms of learning outcomes and competences to be acquired. In addition, ECTS can present the information in an institution and transfer the academic results evenly.

  • What is ECTS Information Document?

    ECTS Information Package is a proper information document of each institution (University, School, College, Institute, Department, etc.) which it is presented, following a common index, information of interest primarily to foreign students who wish to pursue studies in the same. This document consists of two parts. The first part, general, includes general information about the institution. For example, information on contact addresses and formalities to apply to be accepted as an ERASMUS student at the institution, accommodation possibilities, cost of living, health insurance, school calendar, language courses for foreigners, evaluation methods, etc. The second part, normally the most voluminous document, is the description of Curriculum and each of the subjects offered.

  • Does the School make ECTS certificates ?

    The school elaborates both ECTS certificates in English as certificates in percentiles, as also in English to students who request them.

    Important for those applying for work in foreign companies, or to request Master in American Universities: since some time ago, the school can issue certificates in English and with note percentage (percentiles, gives your place a percentage on each test for each subject ) they are very useful (in the US, especially "work" of wonder, a thousand times better than ECTS certificates, that there result very confusing ). Please note that these certificates only take a little more in the making, so it must be ordered two weeks in advance, depends a little bit of time when is asked.


  • What is an ECTS certificate?

    The "ECTS Transcript of Records" is an academic certificate with a standardized format. For each subject followed by a student, the number of ECTS credits granted, date, rating local notation (as usual in Spain, on 10 points) and the ECTS grade is included. The ECTS credit is a unit relative to the overall burden of the student. The burden of an academic year is, by definition, 60 ECTS credits. Thus, a subject of 6 ECTS credits represents the tenth part of the normal workload of a student in the year in which it is located. For example, the 1994 Plan is also oriented to credit. One ETSIT credit (local) represents 10 hours of classroom and on average; one academic year consists of 75 credits. This means that to know the value of a subject of the Plan 94 in ECTS credits, simply divide by 1.25 the ETSIT credits assigned to it. The ECTS grade is based on a weighting of the student's score compared to its peers. Thus, the rating is awarded "A" students found in 10% of the best ratings among approved, "B" to those found in the next 25%, "C" at 30% below, "D" 25% below and "E" to students who, approving, obtained a score in the range of 10% worse. "F" equals failing grade.

Reconocimiento Académico

Mostrar todo
Ocultar todo

    Go first to the regulations of Academic Recognition accessible on the Web School:

    There is collected the full text approved by the School Board for this purpose.

    In any case, below the most frequently asked questions are answered on these issues.

  • For a complete course to be recognized, how many hours per week of class must be followed?

    At no point a minimum number of hours of class or anything like that is requested. What is necessary is that an identical load of work with native students in the same course. If ECTS certificates is implemented in the foreign institution (and conversion is well done), 60 ECTS certificates credits must give a charge equivalent to the one of the native students.

  • What documents are needed on my return to the academic recognition of a full course?

    You will need to deliver a transcript ECTS, indicating credit rating and subject. This rating may be suitable (PASS), in which case it will not be considered for purposes of average, but for the purposes of calculating academic load. In this case be considered, of course, that the student meets the requirements for recognition if you've gathered 60 ECTS credits. 

    Initially, this original document should be sent directly by the International Coordinator at your destination to the International coordinator at the school. It is recommended to be done, whenever possible, with an original copy of these documents before returning. Often these documents are delayed more than is desirable, which may cause certain disorders.

  • I have obtained some credits under 60, I lost the course?

    So far, we have operated with some flexibility, although it should be clear that this situation has arisen to us in very few occasions. For example, it has not been rejected recognition of a course when it has been suspended a single subject that represents less than 5% of the course load (provided they have registered 60 ECTS and has been submitted to examination, ie, that containing the suspended certificate subject in the ECTS). These cases are often even directly assessed as fit in some countries. If the situation is more serious, it would have to resort to a formal validation procedure, subject by subject.

  • What special requirements must I meet to the recognition of last year and PFC / TFG/TFM?

    In this case it is required that the length of stay is 12 months at least. This does not necessarily mean doing more than 60 ECTS credits of courses / subjects, but to apply more effort to PFC / TFG / TFM. Normally there will be a standard allocation of the PFC / TFG / TFM in the foreign institution, and there will not be easy the possibility of a special recognition in credits for that PFC / TFG / TFM particularly long.

  • How much effort should be devoted to the PFC / TFG / TFM at another institution?

    Remember that the PFC / TFG / TFM are a part of the academic training that is given great importance in the school. If the PFC / TFG / TFM lower their quality, we could be forced to close the agreement with the corresponding foreign institution. It is your responsibility to dedicate the PFC / TFG / TFM reasonably a similar effort to the one made by your companions in Spain, even if your tutors at the host institution may consider your work is too much for your standard. The PFC / TFG / TFM must provide at least the equivalent effort to six months of full-time - PFC; two months of full-time - TFG; six months of full time - TFM.

  • What documents are needed on my return to academic recognition of six months of full time dedication - PFC / TFG?

    A bound copy and a copy in PDF format (in one file) on CD or DVD (you can use this cover as a model).

    In both cases the PFC / TFG (MSc thesis, memoire, etc.) I will be prefaced by a brief summary in Spanish, which will also be bound together with the PFC / TFG (NOTE: summaries in Spanish that come in single sheets will not be collected) . This resume, has to be no longer than four pages, you should start indicating the author, title in Spanish, tutor, institution, place and date of reading. For the bound copy, is accepted the authorized  usual format at the institution where it is performed , but for the  PFC will be necessary to put in the loin the student's name and the year in which the project is defended. It is also accepted, obviously, that the book is bound in the required format at the school. In addition, two more documents are required: an official academic certificate attesting the qualification and reading date and signatures of the tutor and the selection board (if any).

    It is a requirement that a public defense of the PFC / TFG is performed in the presence of at least two professors from the host institution. The record must include the student's name, the title of the project or work, the mark, date of reading and the names and signatures of the teachers present in the court. In the event that does not exist a rating and it was only rated as “PASS" (because at that center or country is not qualified in another way, such as in Sweden), the student will ask the tutor of the work Project or Master Thesis a document that advises a 'percentage assessment "of it so that the corresponding credit transfer can be done with a more accurate rating. 

    NOTE: according to the rules of the PFC of the ETSIT, "the final project is a personal work." In the event that the PFC is made between two students, it may reflect this in the first inside pages of the volume (you can put "author: xxxx, in collaboration with xxxx"), but not on the cover, in the cover should only contain the name of a student.

  • When can I apply for the academic recognition of PFC?

    You can only apply for the recognition once gathered all the necessary requirements to register it. This means that you must have passed all subjects of the degree. The right to recognition expires after three years of its defense. School will retain the certificates that are directly referred by other institutions until they can be used by stakeholders.

  • Who should I submit the above documents?

    You must deliver them at your return to Julian Ayuso at the International Office (Room A100)

  • How is the numeric grade that I receive by the School calculated?

    According to the recommendations of the LLP / Erasmus program, a "statistical" translation of the note is made. That is, the numerical note that you will receive at the School is obtained by calculating your weighted average grade obtained at the abroad Centre (based on the notes of each subject, measured not in absolute terms but in percentage in the range of students who have at least approved). That value is then adjusted (between 0 and 100) to the local list of weighted averages of notes (also of at least approved, about 600 currently) obtained by students here in the same academic year and in subjects of the same year of degree than yours.

    Basically, what you do is adjust the average grade measured in ECTS (see subsection 2.4 right here) local to the obtained outside.

  • Can I extend my stay?

    Yes, if you have the authorization of the coordinators of International host institution and the ETSIT-UPM. In any case this extension of stay will mean an increase in the economic scholarship or a restriction in the number of students that can be exchanged during the next academic year.

  • Can I replace courses with respect to the initially planned?

    Yes, if it has the approval of the International coordinators of the two institutions and the workload is maintained. In that case you will have to resubmit a new Learning Agreement with new courses, signed by the International Coordinator of the host institution.

Actividades en el Extranjero

Mostrar todo
Ocultar todo
  • Can I ask my ERASMUS Coordinator abroad to pass me an exam of a pending course at the School?

    No, by the same arguments as in the previous case, aggravated by the trouble that causes to both the teacher responsible abroad and the teacher of the School. Any request to this effect should be very justified by exceptional circumstances.

  • Can I move to Spain for the examination of a subject pending throughout my stay?

    You should try to avoid it as far as possible, provided that it interferes significantly with the activity pursued in the host institution. Presenting yourself for an examination in Spain involves missing the training opportunities that staying abroad entails. In any case, any absence within the teaching periods must be authorized by the International responsible person in the host institution.

  • Can I extend my stay?

    Yes, if you have the authorization of the coordinators of International host institution and the ETSIT-UPM. In any case this extension of stay will mean an increase in the economic scholarship or a restriction in the number of students that can be exchanged during the next academic year.

  • Can I replace courses with respect to the initially planned?

    Yes, if it has the approval of the International coordinators of the two institutions and the workload is maintained. In that case you will have to resubmit a new Learning Agreement with new courses, signed by the International Coordinator of the host institution.

  • In my host university they tell me I can do the number of subjects that I want. It is true?

    Within the ERASMUS program there are institutions that take it more seriously and others less. For us (students and faculty of the School) it is serious. Insist on receiving the same treatment (and that you require) as national students. Generally there is flexibility to choose subjects that are of interest to you, but in some cases, for example in France, the juniors and seniors are very structured.