Museum history

Delegates at the first International Telegraph Conference (Paris, 1865) (Source: ITU)

[Translate to English:] El Museo Joaquín Serna de Telecomunicaciones es heredero de los materiales utilizados en la Escuela de Telegrafía de la madrileña calle del Conde de Peñalver y fue inaugurado en 1984.

En 1965 se inaugura el edificio de la Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros de Telecomunicación en Ciudad Universitaria, adscrita desde la Ley de Enseñanzas Técnicas de 1957 al Ministerio de Educación Nacional. A partir de ese momento, la ETSIT se desvincula de la Escuela Oficial de Telecomunicación, cuyos locales de Conde de Peñalver había continuado compartiendo. La Escuela Oficial de Telecomunicación siguió adscrita a la Dirección General de Correos y Telecomunicación en el Ministerio de la Gobernación, conservando también los fondos de la Biblioteca y Museo.

El ingeniero de Telecomunicación Joquín Serna Sturla (promoción 1962), tuvo la iniciativa de reunir y exponer diversos elementos históricos existentes en la ETSIT, iniciativa que constituyó el gérmen del actual Museo de la Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros de Telecomunicación.

Joaquín Serna falleció en el año 2002, siendo entonces Director del Museo de la ETSIT, el Museo recibe hoy su nombre como reconocimiento a su labor y entusiasmo. Él se ocupó de la recogida, clasificación, restauración y conservación de las piezas que desde la inauguración del nuevo edificio en Ciudad Universitaria se habían ido conservando en las distintas dependencias y laboratorios de la Escuela.

En 1984 se inauguraron las dos primeras vitrinas del incipiente Museo y se habilitó una dependencia en el Edificio B como almacén y taller de restauración de aparatos.

El crecimiento del Museo ha sido permanente a lo largo de los últimos años. En la actualidad las piezas del Museo se exponen por diversas dependencias de la Escuela, una gran parte se encuentra en el hall de entrada del edificio C y en su Salón de Actos, también hay piezas expuestas en la Biblioteca de la Escuela, en la Sala de Profesores, en algunas aulas y en las escaleras de acceso a diferentes pisos del edificio C.

 

The Museum Collection

The collection consists of a wide range of equipment and instruments used in telecommunications: radar, telephone switchboards, radio stations, collections valves, electronic components and tools used in the teaching of telecommunications in the last decades of the nineteenth century and throughout twentieth.

Among the equipment from large facilities include analog switchboards, some employed in the general telephone network and other, smaller, from various departments of government; radar equipment (transmitter and receiver antennas) of domestic and foreign origin, and radio stations used in commercial stations, electronic components, wire forms (from simple copper pairs to employees in submarine communications), vacuum valves.

Among the oldest pieces stand out the inscriptores, switches or transmission drillers Morse, built in the late nineteenth century and keep the original parts.

The educational activity of the school is present through educational panels (television and radio) that explain the operation of its various electronic circuits. With them a set of measuring instruments (voltmeters, galvanometers, multimeters, ondámetros boxes impedance, etc.) it is exposed; some of these devices were made by the students of the school in the years before the Civil War.

The museum has a remarkable collection of telephones, from line to specialized equipment (telephones campaign or military models of the 1940s), switching keys, etc. Especially interesting is the collection of mobile phones.

An important part of the collection are the radios. Household receivers manufactured in the early decades of the twentieth century are displayed, along with transmitting equipment of various kinds, from instruments of military equipment to civilian use. Galena receivers made between 1930 and 1945, four radio receivers tuned frequency valves (1920).

Part of the exhibits are displayed on a computer classroom, in which an instrumental ensemble (oscilloscopes, signal generators, etc.) manufactured by an American multinational exposed, these pieces were acquired by the School under the program Hispanic-American cooperation throughout the 1950s and 1960s.

Location and contact

Hours: From Monday to Friday on schooldays from 9:00 to 14:00 h.

Tours: Free. It is necessary to arrange an appointment (Enrique Calleja 91-336-73-15)